Alter Ego Comic Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alter Ego Comic Corner

International comic book and toy collector forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DarthTad
DarthTad

What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? Empty
PostSubject: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 5:22 am

I'm the type of guy that has to be very organized with anything I collect. And with comics, it seems almost a necessity to have some sort of database of what you have, so you can track what you need and what you can possibly get rid of.

For me, I use comicspriceguide.com, for really no other reason than it was the first decent one I found when I started getting back into collecting a few years ago. It requires a subscription of about $60 a year I think, but you can add all your stuff to your online database, and then access it wherever you have internet access. I keep it bookmarked only iPhone, so I can literally pull it up at my comics shop and see if I need any of the stuff they are selling.

But I know there must be better ones out there. I've seen some that you can get that include a scanner, so you can literally scan the barcode to add it to your collection.

Have any of you used any others, and what do you like/dislike about it?

For my Vintage Star Wars Collection, I actually took the time to make an excel spreadsheet of all the character and card combinations, and then uploaded it into Google Docs so I can check my collection on the fly as well. But there's just no way to do this for the millions of comic issues that I "need."

I'm curious what other folks use.

The other thing I'm up against is that I use a Mac. And I know there are some apps out there that look great, but aren't yet Mac compatible.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 10:34 am

I'm very olds fashioned. I don't use any kind of dedicated comics database. For characters that I'm trying to collect all backissues pf from all series they've had ie. Incredible Hulk Vol. 1, Vol. 2. I just made a spreadsheet with all issue #s and check them off as I get them. Otherwise other books will be BBBd (Bagged, Boarded, and Boxed) and broken up by title in their respective boxs and a list will be taped to the outside of the box in a plastic slipsleeve. Pretty simple I know. But it works for me. If I collected every title out there like some guys I'd need to get fancier. But Meh I have comics to read.
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 11:33 am

Database??? whats that??? lol!

My system is the comics are bagged and boarded then they get put into a box that is in alphabetical order then each letter is broke down into categories of the character.
E.G. Batman streets of Gotham goes under B then I will make a sub category for the streets of Gotham.
As to knowing what I have I just kind of know (maybe its my superpower? Smile )
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 7:06 pm

I mainly use Comic Buyers Guide Comic Book Checklist and Price Guide, but they havent come out with a new one since 2009. The Comic Shop book they did, just isnt the same. Reminds me of Overstreets book, issues combined with the same value. I like the CBG one cause of the complete checklist. Now I write what I need down in a notebook. Alot easier to look up what I need and its handy right by the desk so I casn grab it while on patrol on Ebay. Very Happy

As for databases, hands down goes to ComicBase program. It has a complete checklist that you can print out in 2 ways, the full run or just what your missing. It has a free year update so anything new thats came out in a year will be listed. Has a grading system to adjust the price of your books and has a CGC grade scale also. Very simple to use. Search function sends you right to what your looking for. Downside, its PC only. But there was talk of them doing a Mac version, but havent heard anything new on that front. If I do, Ill post it up here for those who have a Mac and would be interested in the program. As soon as my new copy arrives in 1-3 days, Ill take some screen shots and add them here.
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 6:57 pm

Got the new version of ComicBase in and I have to say, Im alittle dissapointed in it. Its nothing like the other one I have. Now to mark down what you have checklist style, you have to double click the bar on the left of an issue to bring up another window. I know some would say its an improvement, but I dont. So far Ive been trying to update the titles up-to-date, and its taking me 2 days to do it and Im still not done. So to say, I wouldnt recommend it now.
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 9:36 pm

Ok, I emailed a rep for that ComicBase program and they told me what I had to do to get it working right. The database is so huge, you have to compress it for it all to be able to download. I worked on it the other day and had to compress it 4-5 times for it all to fit along with all the updates I missed for over a year. At one time, there was 1 GB of info needed to be compressed. Yhea, huge update. But it does work great now, but as Tad and Paul seen from the copy I had before this one, its way different. The old version had a check box you could click on to mark what you have. This one, you have to double click that space for another window to come up to do it. I havent started on my collection yet (not enough time in a day to start. Very Happy ), but once I do, Ill post up pix to let everybody see what its like.
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 3:16 pm

I've been doing a lot of research as well, looking for the best software for me that was Mac compatible, and I found this.

http://www.collectorz.com/comic/features-mac.php

I just ordered it. The best part to me is that I was also able to get a barcode scanner for it, so when I need to add my piles on Wednesdays, I can just scan them in, and it will add them.

It also has a ton of info, so when you add a comic, it will also have artist, writer, inker, plot points, just s ton of searchable stuff. And they get info directly from Diamond in advance, so I can also use it to edit and adjust my pull list.

Once I have it added in, there's an iPhone app that I can pull up at the shop to see if there's anything I'm missing, unlike what I use now, where I just have to go to their website and login to pull up my collection.

I'm totally freaking stoked. Once I get it, I'll let you guys know how it works.
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 5:54 pm

I tried that one, but for some reason I didnt get into it. Guess I was still use to the old ComicBase I was using thats totally different to the one I got now. I might have to look into the free version of theirs again and really look into it. Does the full version have a checklist you can print out? Thats what I really need. Alot easier to use when your scanning Ebay or dont have an iPhone when you go to the shop. And how long do you get updates for the program? The one Im using you get a years worth, but have to get the new edition when it comes out for it.
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 6:11 pm

Chris_J wrote:
I tried that one, but for some reason I didnt get into it. Guess I was still use to the old ComicBase I was using thats totally different to the one I got now. I might have to look into the free version of theirs again and really look into it. Does the full version have a checklist you can print out? Thats what I really need. Alot easier to use when your scanning Ebay or dont have an iPhone when you go to the shop. And how long do you get updates for the program? The one Im using you get a years worth, but have to get the new edition when it comes out for it.

From what I understand, once you buy the full version, you have unlimited access to updates. Essentially the software doesn't update, just the content. You can also subscribe to have your database stored online, which I did, in case my computer crashed. Also, you can print out a completely customizable checklist of your wants, too.

But once I get it, I'll keep you posted. I opted to buy the disc instead of a download, so I have a hard copy for backup.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 9:23 pm

Really interested to see how you like it Tad. From a quick looksee it looks like a good system.
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 1:39 pm

I too would be interested on how you get on with this Tad, I like the look of this.
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 6:30 pm

Although I haven't received the barcode scanner in the mail yet, I was able to use my registry key to download the full software and start putting in a few books.

So far, gotta say, I LOVE IT! Super easy to search; it's just a checklist that you click on then click "add" to put it in your collection. But so far the part I'm most impressed with, is all the data it provides. I can search my collection by artist, writer, plot points, letterer, or any other way you can imagine. It's just really thorough.

I also bought the $10 iPhone app that goes with it. So after I added a few books, I opened the app on my phone, and after a couple of clicks, the software wirelessly uploaded my collection to my phone. No cables, no browsing the web, it's just there. With all the covers and info that the desktop software has.

I'm really digging it.

The only drawback is that it doesn't track values. I can add tons of details about my particular copy from condition, price paid, etc. I can even rate it so that I can sort my favorite books into a list. But no values.

So I think I will keep up with comicspriceguide.com as well, since I have so many already entered in there, just for the sake of value tracking.

But this new software is the bees knees for comic data. LOVE IT!

I can't wait to get that scanner and start cranking out my whole collection into the database!

Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 6:38 pm

Thats the plus side to ComicBase. With the weekly updates every Wendsday, you get up to date values on the books. The values Im not that to concerned about, unless Im going after some key issues I need. Ill get some pix up of the one I use tonight. I want to look something up anyway so Ill snap some shots while Im at it. Tad and Paul seen what the older one looks like and Paul has my old copy.
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 7:24 pm

Ok heres mine.

This page is where you can do your title search either by scrolling or typing the title in the upper box.

What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? Img_2079

This is where you can add or delete title info, quantity and other info like purchase price.

What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? Img_2080

After you do all your adding or deleting, the quantity will look like this on the main title page.

What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? Img_2081

Then, when you got everything in, quantity, price paid, etc., you can check out your statistics on your collection here.

What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? Img_2082

Now if theres any junkies like some of us who want to hunt down every variant, you can add variant abbreviations from this page.

What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? Img_2083

Ok, all the hard work is done and your ready to go to the shop. But you dont have an app for your phone and want a list to take along. Heres where you go to print out a checklist for what you need along with several other options.

What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? Img_2084

Pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it.
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 1:07 am

That's a great idea, Chris. It gives people a good sense as to what to expect from the software!

So here's mine.

First, here's the particular layout I've chosen for mine. They have a kajillion different ones, but I like this one because it reminds me of iTunes.
What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? ScreenShot2012-03-13at94512PM

Then to add to your collection, you click a little "+" in the toolbar, and it brings up a search box. You just start typing and find your title. Then you can check the little box next to the issue you want, and add it to your "haves" or "want" list.

What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? ScreenShot2012-03-13at94615PM

You can also print out a checklist like this. You can specify which info you want to include. I just did a basic one, and it's my "haves" I've entered, since I haven't added a "want" list yet.

What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? ScreenShot2012-03-13at94726PM

With each issue in your collection, you can add a bunch of detailed info including cost, date you got it, even date you read it.

What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? ScreenShot2012-03-13at94905PM
What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? ScreenShot2012-03-13at94929PM

There's also tons of statistical data you can see of your collection. Obviously this isn;t very accurate yet, since I've only had a chance to add 30 books.

What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? ScreenShot2012-03-13at100230PM

You can also export your collection to Excel if you're more comfortable with that format.

THe other thing I like about it, is that it pulls directly from Diamond, so their database is already a couple of months ahead. You can see covers and synopsis of books that aren't out yet, and print a pull list from that as well.

You can also upload your collection to their online site, so you have access to it from any computer. They charge a subscription fee for that, though, but it's only like $19 a year I think?

Once I get the scanner I'll post screenshots of that process, too. I hope it works as good as it says.

Chris, on your screen shot, it shows a value in one of the boxes. Do you have to put that in, or does it pull it from somewhere. If so, where does it get that info? LIke I said before, not having the values right in there is the only drawback I've found on mine so far.
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 2:33 am

I have to admit that I think Tad's is just that bit better looking, but the idea of the market price thing on Comicbase sounds handy.
Might even give one a go.
My next stupid question is do they take up a lot of memory on the computer, I only ask because when this desktop dies( that won't be long) I was thinking of going over to an Apple laptop and was worried that this and iTunes would fill the memory of it.
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 7:03 am

The only value you have to add into mine is the purchase price you paid for the books themselfs. All the current market values are updated every week. They get the current book values from sales in shops, Ebay, Atomic Avenue, and Diamond. So the current values are pretty precise.

Mike, mine was huge to begin with, but if you compress it, it doesnt take up as much space. Right now, its at 6.25 MBs. Before I compressed it the other day, it was up to 1 GB. The more you compress it, the more you can get into it. Heres the space requirements thats on their site. 128 MB RAM (256 MB preferred) and 300 MB disk space. But Im still not sure if they have an Apple version of this one yet. From what I was reading the other day, there is one. But I cant confirm that. And it also supports the scanners like Tads does.

Tad, that program looks nice, but the only thing I see with it is that you have to put in all the info yourself or am I looking at it wrong? What Im asking is once you go to a title, the title name is the only thing there and you have to make sure everything else is correct, right?
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Mike--I'm not sure of the size of this app. And the size of your Database just depends on the size of your collection. But I understand what your saying with your iTunes being too big. I recently moved my iTunes all to my Time Capsule and stream it in order to free up space on my MacBook.

Chris--Most of the info is already filled in. Really the only place you add is under the "Personal" tab, where you can put in the date you got it, read it, custom search tags, etc. I haven't added anything to the ones I've added yet.

Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Cool. Ill have to give the free one a try again sometime and really play around with it to see if I like it better.

Ive been looking online to see what other programs are out there. The big 2 are the ones you and I have, Tad. Theres a few others out there, but Im not really sure about them. The one thing about that place that makes yours also has some for other areas of collecting too, like CD's, books, etc. Ill keep looking and see what else I can find to add here.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 7:51 pm

Tad did you get the Standard or orp version?
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 12:48 am

kisstour03 wrote:
Tad did you get the Standard or orp version?

I bought the Pro version, just so I won't have to upgrade later.

I received my barcode scanner just before I left town, so today was the first chance I had to use it.

Survey says.............not liking it so far. I've only tried to add a couple of comics, and I need to mess around with it more, but my first few attempts went askew. LIke when I scanned a comic, it popped up with every issue of that comic already checked, and wanted to add all of them to my collection. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I need to read up more on it.

So far though, it's way easier just to start typing the title.

Stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?   What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Do You Use To Catalogue Your Collection?
Page 1 of 1