Alter Ego Comic Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alter Ego Comic Corner

International comic book and toy collector forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Random question about your buying habits.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

Random question about your buying habits. Empty
PostSubject: Random question about your buying habits.   Random question about your buying habits. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 10:11 pm

Hey fellas. Just sitting here in the comics room looking at Ebay. Big surprise there I know LOL. Anyway i had a random question pop into my head.

I've been back into comics for around a year now. (Thanks Chris ya damn enabler) And i noticed a shift in my buying habits from even a few months ago and now. Firstly when i got back into going to the shop and didn't have a monthly pull list account I'd buy a big stack of books. There'd be books I grabbed every month and random extras picked up to see if they were good. Then I started a pull list and get in about every two weeks to get them. But still had a big pile of "Extras" I'd grab. Now i go in and get my pull list and the extra pile is smaller and smaller. Mainly books I really like and am probably going to have added to the list if I continue to like them. Last trip the extras were only seven books vs maybe like 15 or 20. So long story short is: Do you stick pretty much with your pull list books and only pick up a few extras or do you get a pile of extras that you just have to get?
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Random question about your buying habits.   Random question about your buying habits. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 7:34 pm

Pull list? Whats a pull list? lol! Theres no need in me starting one, not with my habit. I usually pick up what looks good on the cover to start with, then hit the cheap bins. If theres something decent looking in that, then Ill hit the back issues to see what else they got. So its pretty random for me, except for certain titles I will always pick up.

As for Ebay hitting, whatever I can land cheap in a huge lot. Dont care what it is, not with my goal I have set myself (one of every comic released in the US). I prefer lots over single buying cause you can get a good chunk knocked out in one lick, then you can start picking up hole fillers at a later date. Like with my Punisher and Punisher War Journal Vol 1's, Wonder Man, etc. I only need a few issues to complete those, so those would be done by singles. Lots wouldnt be worth it anymore.
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: Random question about your buying habits.   Random question about your buying habits. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 4:09 pm

As I'm saving some money to buy a new house my comic pull list has gone down to just a few regular comics per month, but how I normally buy is I get Preview magazine I look through that then place my order for all the comics that are not already on my pull list.
the only down side is it's normally 2 months in advance and if it looks like a good comic I hate having to wait till it comes out.
When I go into the LCS I never look at the new release shelves.
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Random question about your buying habits.   Random question about your buying habits. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 6:13 pm

I was doing the same thing in the late 80s/ early 90s, Mike. The shop I was using gave me a copy of the Previews (awesome way to get those rare promo non-sports cards you couldnt get anywhere else). The downside to that for me was the place was 60 miles away and way too many books to pick from. What killed it for me was the shop started to NOT put in what I ordered. There was alot of titles I had to get off the shelf that shouldve been in my box that wasnt. So I figured if they cant give me what I pre-ordered, Ill let em hang with a huge order with shit they couldnt sell on the shelves. Dont mess with my comics or Ill get even with your butt. lol!
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Random question about your buying habits.   Random question about your buying habits. I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 12:39 am

I'm cutting way back on the books I read. It's just too much. MY back log is getting bigger and bigger, and I'm starting to lose the enjoyment. It's starting to feel like work.

So I just yesterday cut my pull list from 168 books to 53. I will probably end up cutting more, I just couldn't bring myself to do it all at once. And I'm all about the pull list. I like to know that I have it already handled and shoudln't miss any issues.
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: Random question about your buying habits.   Random question about your buying habits. I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 4:47 am

168 Comic books a month?? Shocked Shocked I don't think I have ever brought that many in a month, Mine was about 50ish but cut it down to about 10 but some of them are mini series that I didn't want to stop half way through.
It has hard to cut down a pull list isn't it.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Random question about your buying habits.   Random question about your buying habits. I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 10:52 am

I'm trying to cut down my pull list a bit. Since we have a house to take care of now, I have to watch my pennies more. And it's really tough. I only get 23 books a month and I'm trying to get it down to 10-15. I get a list made and then look it over and think "Oh shit comic XYZ isn't on here, and i can't miss that." It's a very emotional thing isn't it?? The main issue for me is cost. My pull list averages about 85 bucks a month, plus the 30 bucks in gas to get to the shop which is an hour and a half away. And having a pull list of only 10 books wouldn't make the long drive worth it. As much as I pound the drum about buying from your local shop I'm really considering buying online. I can save a shit load buy buying from Previews and don't have to burn gas to get there. But feel bad not buying my books from the guys in Fredericton. I've been wound up for a week trying to make a decision. i think I'll go read some comics to relax. LOL.

And Tad. Cutting down is probably a good thing. You don't want this to feel like work. It's supposed to be fun. Collecting SW is work. heheve. And you can turn the cash you save towards working on your older Batman issues, and that will be really fun don't you think??
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Random question about your buying habits.   Random question about your buying habits. I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 9:29 pm

Yeah, cutting your pull list is hard. Comics are a slippery slope. Like if you read Captain America, than you'll want to keep up with Avengers, and Secret Avengers and New Avengers and Winter Soldier..... It's just hard to know where to stop.

And yes, 168 books is just too freaking much. But I was trying to read as much as possible for this forum, and the podcast. I wanted to be in the know about as much as I could. But it had to stop. And I need to cut more, too.

Paul, Midtown Comics has a pretty appealing online subscription service. Most of their books are less than cover price, and they offer free shipping if you go over $75.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Random question about your buying habits.   Random question about your buying habits. I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 9:46 pm

Mid-Town is pretty much my favorite online comic stop. They ship fast and pack like the things are going through a battlefield. i've been looking at their Previews service and can save a shitload that way. Like I said I hate not buying local, even though "local" is over 85 miles away, but it's a money and convenience thing. And i still have to decide on some books to cut anyway.

The funny thing is I read Captain America but i don't feel compelled to read all the other books Cap is in. Except Secret Avengers and he's not even in that now.

And on the original buying habits question of this thread, I find I'm reading waaay more DC than Marvel. And years ago it was the reverse. But Marvel NOW! may drag me back into more Marvel books. We'll see. And i'm also starting to cool off on my enthusiasm for some of the independent books I was picking up. The Shadow has really been a let down and I think I'll be dropping The Spider after the first story arc is done. Lord Of The Jungle is getting stale for me. And Manhattan Projects is holding on by a thread. Bionic Man and Lone Ranger are still strong for me though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random question about your buying habits.   Random question about your buying habits. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random question about your buying habits.
Page 1 of 1