Alter Ego Comic Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alter Ego Comic Corner

International comic book and toy collector forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!!

Go down 
+2
kisstour03
DarthTad
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DarthTad
DarthTad

Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 12:49 am

First topic message reminder :

Welcome the the next installment of the Alter Ego Comics Corner Graphic Novel Book Club!

Here's how it works:
From now on, the GNBC will be the first SATURDAY of every month. A specific title will be chosen, and folks will have the entire month to find a copy if they don't already have it, read it, and be ready to discuss it on the first Saturday. The discussion will take place both in the live chat here on the forums at 8:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, as well as on this thread via forum responses. On the day of discussion, I will post a list of discussion questions to consider for the chat and forum, in order to get things started. However, THIS IS A DISCUSSION, so feel free to post questions you may have had as well, and any and all points, opinions, etc, that you discovered through reading.

There are only 3 Rules:

1. You must let me know that you would like to participate, so we have an idea of who will be involved, and can help each other track down copies, etc.

2. After the first discussion, we will all decide as a group what the next Graphic Novel will be. Keep in mind that it must be a "self-contained" story. For example, Batman: The Killing Joke, would work. But Y: The Last Man Volume 1 wouldn't, being that it's the first part of an ongoing story.

3. AND THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE!! NO BELITTLING, DEMEANING, TALKING DOWN, OR RIDICULING WILL BE TOLERATED!! For some people, discussing a graphic novel may be, "I thought the best part was when the Hulk smashed that guy's face in." For others it might be, "I really enjoyed the writers similarities to Tom Joad form The Grapes of Wrath." BOTH ARE FINE!! This is meant to be an honest open discussion about comics. You are more than welcome to disagree with someone's opinion, but there is a right and a wrong way to express that. There is no wrong answer here. You might totally hate the book we're reading, and that's just fine, but you don't need to tell us all we're idiots for enjoying it. Bottom line:The Golden Rule prevails here.

If you would like to participate, please respond here, or PM me, and I'll add you to the list.

Whew. With all that out of the way, our next Graphic Novel of the month will be........drumroll...........
Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!! - Page 2 Batman_Year_One_TP

Let's have even more participation this time! It was great last month, but could be even greateriest if we get more folks involved!! Spread the word!

Last edited by DarthTad on Sat May 05, 2012 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 8:30 pm

And yeah you're a douche. lol!
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 5:04 pm

Well guys, I finally read Year One. At this point, I think it's too hard to coordinate a live discussion, so I figured we could discuss it through posts on here, an order to give everyone a chance to input.

My immediate impressions of this: It was phenomenal. I feel embarrassed that, being a Batman fan, I've waited this long to read it. It's great to get a sense of Batman's "coming of age," as opposed to just the simple, "His parents were murdered, so he became Batman."

I really liked Mazzucchelli's art, with the Batman drawn as a throwback to his actual original depiction in Detective #27. The simple grey and black, with a black bat symbol is awesome.

So without further ado, let's discuss!

Here are some questions I thought could get the party started:

1. What do you think the weight of Jim Gordon's gun symbolizes? He mentions it more than once.

2. What did you think of the portrayal of Jim Gordon as a flawed, adulterer?

3. Was the Selina Kyle side story a good addition, or distracting?

4. What is the significance of Jim Gordon being originally form Chicago, and transferring to Gotham? And what is the significance of Bruce Wayne returning from a long absence?

5. What are your highlights? What did you think could be better?

And awayyyyyyy we go!
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 1:32 am

Just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone had any input. Also, what do we want to do for the next one?
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 2:17 am

I will hold my hands up and say that I have not read it yet Embarassed.
I like the idea of doing it by posting your stuff instead of chat for those of us who are in different time zones.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Next one should be Red Son.
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 12:13 am

Hmmm, I've heard nothing but good things about Red Son. Right now for the book club at the local comic shop we're reading Old Man Logan. ANy interest in either for anoyone else?
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 2:53 am

I'd go with Red son (only because its one that I already own)
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 3:35 pm

Alright, since we have 2 votes for Red Son, Red Son it is!

I'll post a new thread soon.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 4:53 pm

Sweet cheers and i actually know where my copy is. Dang moving.
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 5:48 pm

I am going to promise now that I'm going to read this one and take part in this by posting ontime, normally something always comes up, or I forget, but this time I AM!!! going to take part Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Graphic Novel Book Club For May 12th, 2012. BATMAN: YEAR ONE RESCHEDULED!!!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2