Alter Ego Comic Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alter Ego Comic Corner

International comic book and toy collector forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
artoo_detour

artoo_detour

The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! Empty
PostSubject: The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts!   The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 6:13 pm

The Toy Advert Time Machine!!

One of my favourite aspects of comic collecting is seeing all the cool toy adverts that are spread throughout the various issues. Especially the vintage toy adverts from the 1970s and 80s. These ads not only serve as an important chronicle of some of the most popular toys of their day, but for me give a big warm and fuzzy reminder of some of the great toys I owned as a kid - and some of the toys I never managed to get my hands on.

Last year I started my website thevintagetoyadvertiser.com with the aim of showcasing cool and iconic toy adverts from the 1970s and 80s - mostly taken from Marvel and DC and also some UK, French and Danish titles.

So.... what is the Toy Advert Time Machine?

Each week I'll post up a couple of cool adverts here from my own collection. Please feel free to discuss and share here. I want to know if you owned any of these toys and what was cool about them! Or maybe you've just started out collecting some of these toys now? What adverts would you like to see here? Do you have any adverts of your own to post?

So.... let's kick off with a really cool ad from issue #67 of The Defenders published in 1978.

Energized Spider-Man from the Remco company.

The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! The_de10

Next up is a great ad for the MASK toyline from Kenner. Taken from The New Mutants #34. 1985.

The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! Mask_m10

And to finish this week, a zany Star Wars super stakes ad from the MPC model kit company. Advert from SpiderWoman #22. 1979.

The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! Spider10

Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts!   The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 6:47 pm

Great job Paul. I love those old adverts. To me back then, they are what sold most comics to young boys. Seeing that ad for the Remco Spidey just made you want it that much more. By the way, nice free plug there. lol! Your site rocks with all those ads.
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts!   The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 8:09 pm

I'm so glad you took my suggestion Paul. These old ads makes me smile every time. The Remco Energized Spidy is a favorite of mine. I wanted that so bad whn I was a kid. I finally got one a few months ago cheers . I have to track down the Green Goblin and the helicopter. There was also some sort of base headquarters set too. I still have to get the web for mine. It was lost in the packing material when mine came in the mail Crying or Very sad .

I liked M.A.S.K. when I was a kid. Theres acouple pieces I'd like to pick up still.

Never seen the SW sweepstakes before. Awesome.
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts!   The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 8:33 pm

What a cool thread! Great job, Paul!
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts!   The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 3:16 pm

Great Idea for a thread, Like a lot on here I love the old adverts you find in comics.
Back to top Go down
artoo_detour

artoo_detour

PostSubject: Re: The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts!   The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Thanks guys and thanks to Paul Kisstour for kickstarting the idea.

A couple of new ones for you, these are from French comic PIF GADGET, a monthly comic that ran from 1969 to 2009. Pif was the name of one of its comic strip characters, and gadget related to the free toy that they gave away each issue.

The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! Pif-va10

The comic's origins can be traced back to Nazi occupied France where it was published illegally by the French Communist Party. Pif only ever ran complete (unserialised) stories. One of its spin-offs was the German YPS magazine (SW fans among us know all about that one Smile ). Pif also had a great relatonship with the French Star Wars license Meccano and produced many cool ads.

The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! Tvtr_s10
The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! 595_co10

Here are some great adverts for the Six Million Dollar Man action figure line produced by Kenner (Meccano for France).

Taken from Pif Gadget #450, 1977:

The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! Tvtr_p12

The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! Tvtr_p13

and from Pif Gadget #482, 1978:

The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! Pif_4811

Back to top Go down
artoo_detour

artoo_detour

PostSubject: Re: The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts!   The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 2:04 pm

Next up is an ad for the Mego elastic toys. Taken from Spiderwoman #22. 1979.

The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! Spider11

Followed by a cool ad for Pez featuring both Marvel and DC characters. Taken from Secrets of Haunted House #32. 1981.

The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! Pezmar11
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts!   The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 4:26 pm

I love these ads. i saw the Pez in a book I was reading the other day. And I think i have that issue of Secrets.
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
artoo_detour

artoo_detour

PostSubject: Re: The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts!   The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 7:52 am

Two great Shogun Warriors ads, first one is from Pif Gadget #552 1979, and the second is from #558 from the same year.

The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! Pif55211

The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! Pif55811

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts!   The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Toy Advert Time Machine: your weekly look into the world of vintage comic adverts!
Page 1 of 1