Alter Ego Comic Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alter Ego Comic Corner

International comic book and toy collector forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review Empty
PostSubject: Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review   Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 11:08 pm

Well I got Thor: God Of Thunder #1 in the mail today at lunch.

All I have to say is WOW!!!!! The art was really awesome and the writing must have been good because the story drew me in. Which is saying something because I've never been a real Thor fan.

The really neat thing about this book is that we get to see three different Thors at different times in his life.

The start of the issue is in 893 AD and a young Thor is celebrating the killing of a Frost Giant that was terrorizing the locals in Iceland. As the frolic goes on a scream is heard from outside. Thor and his viking pals investagate and find the body of a man who looks native American. Thor realizes the man is a dead god.

The second part is in our present day on the far off planet of Indigarr. a little girl is praying to Thor for rain, as it hasn't rained on the world for many years and the people are on the verge of death. Thor hears her prayer and comes and makes it rain. after he has rescued the people he asks an elder why the girl didn't pray to her own planets gods. The elder informs Thor that there are no gos on their world. The elder tells of childhood stories of gods who lived in the skies in a jewelled city, but no more. Thor can't belive this and goes in search of the gods. He finds the city of the gods and enters. He finds no one there, only dust. He finds a treasure room and long unused weapons.He also finds a library that has scrolls telling of the gods who once lived here. As Thor makes ready to leave he sees a building that has doors chained shut. He investigates and finds the gods inside all killed. Thor makes a connection that he has seen this before. And at that moment he is attacked by a pretty nasty looking
"guard dog". as we come to the close of this part of the story we learn the name of the evil doer is Gorr The God Butcher.

The final chapter of this first issue is "Many Millenia from Now" and takes place on Asgard. It is a much older and battered Thor we meet here. He is missing his left eye and left arm. We learn he is alone here in the throne room. He calls for his artificial arm and remembers he is alone so must put it on himself. he readys for battle and we find out he can hear things outside. thor carries his hammer and the Odinsword out and starts battle with what look like more of the same "guard dogs" we saw in the middle story. This is how the issue ended.

This story arc feels likeit has a cool epic tone to it. I think Jason Aaron will give us a thor book we will want to read every month. I hope he can keep the sense of adventure rolling for many issues.

So final feelings? RUN OUT AND BUY THIS COMIC!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review   Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 12:56 am

I thought it was OK. The three-part story was interesting. I wonder if that format will continue from issue to issue, or if it was just for the setup issue.

I liked the art as well. And overall, I will say that I enjoyed it way more than Mighty Thor and Journey Into Mystery lately. I really liked Jason Aaron's work on Punisher Max, too. So I have high hopes for this one.

And Paul. It's about damn time you got a comic near it's release date!! Slacker!
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review   Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 10:34 am

Yeah I had this on a pre order with a seller on Ebay. I have Indestructible Hulk #1 and Captain America #1 coming from the same guy so they should be here by early next week. I so wish there was a comic shop in town so I could pick my books up weekely. Makes it hard to do reviews and join in conversations when I usually get books a month or more behind. Ah well still fun.

I was really worried about this Thor book being any good because Aaron is the guy who was behind that TERRIBLE Incredible Hulk run for the last year. He seems to have a better handle on Thor. And the art is steller. I think the three Thor story is supposed to go all through this particular arc. Can't wait for the next one.
Back to top Go down
Jaxx

Jaxx

PostSubject: Re: Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review   Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 6:33 pm

I have been out of the comics loop for many years, but this sounds like something that is of interest to me.
Thanks for the review and comments. I must now search out a local comic store. Cool
Back to top Go down
Johnny U

Johnny U

PostSubject: Re: Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review   Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 5:13 pm

Definitely better than most of the Thor stuff I've read!
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review   Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Issue 2 was just as good. Thor goes on my monthly pickups list. I'm supposed to be cutting down, not adding to it.
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review   Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 5:46 pm

I used to love Thor, but have not read any for years maybe I should pick this one up before it get to far ahead.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review   Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 8:48 pm

I recommend it highly Mike. I like it well enough that it would be on my short list if I had to cut back to 4-5 books. Which I thought I was going to have to do a couple of months ago. But things have brightened up since then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review   Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thor: God Of Thunder #1 Review
Page 1 of 1