Alter Ego Comic Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alter Ego Comic Corner

International comic book and toy collector forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

And So It Begins...

Go down 
+2
kisstour03
DarthTad
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DarthTad
DarthTad

And So It Begins... Empty
PostSubject: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 12:22 am

After months of waffling back and forth, I finally said "screw it" and decided to start a Super Powers collection.

Here's the first two.

And So It Begins... 3ce2caaa

Small Card Batman and Supes. I have to say, I've been going totally ape poop on e-bay with these. I was out of town all weekend, and got back tonight to find these waiting for me. Once I got them open, they were way cooler than I even remembered. I'd like to apologize in advance to my credit card, for the number of bad decisions I'll be making in the near future.

I was really impressed with the bubble condition on these bad boys, too. In the auctions they didn't look nearly as good.

Also, BEHOLD!! THE RETURN OF TAD'S MICROWAVE microwave microwave. (Can you feel the dramatic echo?)
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 10:24 am

Tad you have a couple of pieces of Canadian merchandising history right there. You probably already know but in case you don't. Those "thin cards" were part of a promotion up here by Shell gas stations in 1985. Customers were afforded the opportunity to purchase one of eight specially carded Super Powers action figures with a fill-up of 25 liters (litres) or more. You got a coupon that let you get a figure for free. Funny thing was, you couldn't use it for the Superman figure Question The figures were Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Firestorm, Red Tornado, and Martian Manhunter. I want a set of these myself.

Thanks now you're getting me wanting to jump back into the SP ring. ENABLER!!

If you want a decent place to get SP info check out this site. http://kennersuperpowers.com/
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 8:39 pm

I didn't know that about the small cards, Paul!

These came in today. 12 back and 23 back Jokers, although I'll need to upgrade the 23 back. It was a little rougher than I thought it would be.

And So It Begins... 5733b8f4

And I also got these bad boys. I'm stoked I was able to get a couple of the more rare ones. The Plastic Man is Canadian, but I won't hold that against him. But the Mister Miracle is in really good shape.
And So It Begins... 042ad211
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 9:40 pm

Sweet Tad. I think I like the Plastic Man best. And the microwave is looking sweet as always.
Back to top Go down
artoo_detour

artoo_detour

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Nice Tad very nice, those SPs look like they're going to be addictive! Good to see the return of the microwave too What a Face
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 5:02 pm

Tad those Super Powers are sweet, I have been wanting to start collecting them myself but not got around to it yet but seeing them might tip me over the edge.
Also good to see The return of the Microwave!!
I never knew about the skinny cards, they have an interesting story thanks for sharing Paul.
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 7:40 pm

Awesome scores Tad. I was into the line for a bit, but havent done anything with it for awhile. Dont know if you noticed it or not, but the Jokers hat on the right is a different color than the left one. Wonder if thats another cardback change they did when they changed the backs?
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 7:49 pm

Chris_J wrote:
Awesome scores Tad. I was into the line for a bit, but havent done anything with it for awhile. Dont know if you noticed it or not, but the Jokers hat on the right is a different color than the left one. Wonder if thats another cardback change they did when they changed the backs?

No, I didn't. I'll need to look more closely at other 23-backs to see if that's a consistent change, or if mine is just discolored.

Good eye!
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 8:14 pm

Just looked at it again and his outfit is a different color. I dont think its discolored, to be honest. If it was, it would be consistent like it is. The color and shading is just right for a color change.
Back to top Go down
Johnny U

Johnny U

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 8:30 pm

Tad those SP's rock! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 11:53 pm

Got a couple of more today. Desaad and Martian Manhunter.

And So It Begins... Bcd63ecc
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:45 am

cheers You're on fire.
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 2:42 pm

STOP NOW!!! Please I beg you stop showing me sweet carded Super Powers, I don't want to start collecting them yet but looking at them I'm not sure how long I can hold of lol!
Other than that they look lovely Tad
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 4:06 pm

Mike. I'll help you. I'll snap pics of mine so you don't get to urge to buy any.
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 7:49 pm

Ta-dah!!

[img]And So It Begins... Bed76535[/img]
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 9:21 pm

Wow, Tad your def on a roll with those things. You'll have a full set in no time.
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 4:30 am

Tad - more Super Powers goodness there they look lovely.

Chris - I think he's a long way of a full set, he has yet to get all the variants all them bright colours must fade and change colour to become a rare figure lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 10:44 am

Gorneesh wrote:

Chris - I think he's a long way of a full set, he has yet to get all the variants all them bright colours must fade and change colour to become a rare figure lol! lol!

lol!
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 12:15 pm

AHHHHHHH VARITARD VARITARD VARITARD!!!!!!! ALERT VARITARD!!!!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Johnny U

Johnny U

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Hahaha Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 9:00 pm

DarthTad wrote:
Gorneesh wrote:

lol!

Wow, you mean pomse highjacked Tads account? Looks like I need to check out the IP on this one. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: And So It Begins...   And So It Begins... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

And So It Begins...
Page 1 of 1