Alter Ego Comic Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alter Ego Comic Corner

International comic book and toy collector forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DarthTad
DarthTad

Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!! Empty
PostSubject: Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 4:29 pm

***Due to a scheduling conflict, the Graphic Novel Book Club has been rescheduled for Saturday, April 7th. The live chat will be held on that day at 8:00PM Eastern. On Saturday morning, I will post a list of discussion question ideas to think about, although any discussion is welcomed! Sorry for the inconvenience!

Welcome the the first ever installment of the Alter Ego Comics Corner Graphic Novel Book Club!

Here's how it works:
Beginning in April, we will hold an online Graphic Novel Book Club beginning on the first Wednesday of each month. A specific title will be chosen, and folks will have the entire month to friend a copy if they don't already have it, read it, and be ready to discuss it on the first Wednesday. The discussion will take place both in the live chat here on the forums at 9:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, as well as on this thread via forum responses. On the day of discussion, I will post a list of discussion questions to consider for the chat and forum, in order to get things started. However, THIS IS A DISCUSSION, so feel free to post questions you may have had as well, and any and all points, opinions, etc, that you discovered through reading.

There are only 3 Rules:

1. You must let me know that you would like to participate, so we have an idea of who will be involved, and can help each other track down copies, etc.

2. After the first discussion, we will all decide as a group what the next Graphic Novel will be. Keep in mind that it must be a "self-contained" story. For example, Batman: The Killing Joke, would work. But Y: The Last Man Volume 1 wouldn't, being that it's the first part of an ongoing story.

3. AND THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE!! NO BELITTLING, DEMEANING, TALKING DOWN, OR RIDICULING WILL BE TOLERATED!! For some people, discussing a graphic novel may be, "I thought the best part was when the Hulk smashed that guy's face in." For others it might be, "I really enjoyed the writers similarities to Tom Joad form The Grapes of Wrath." BOTH ARE FINE!! This is meant to be an honest open discussion about comics. You are more than welcome to disagree with someone's opinion, but there is a right and a wrong way to express that. There is no wrong answer here. You might totally hate the book we're reading, and that's just fine, but you don't need to tell us all we're idiots for enjoying it. Bottom line:The Golden Rule prevails here.

If you would like to participate, please respond here, or PM me, and I'll add you to the list.

Whew. With all that out of the way, our first Graphic Novel of the month will be........drumroll...........

Marvels

Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!! Marvels-01-nm-marvel

The 1994 Classic Written By Kurt Busiek, with art by Alex Ross.

This months participants:

DarthTad
kisstour03
Gorneesh

Last edited by DarthTad on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 4:53 pm

DarthTad wrote:
3. AND THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE!! NO BELITTLING, DEMEANING, TALKING DOWN, OR RIDICULING WILL BE TOLERATED!!

This is the BIGGEST rule of this forum. And we're off to a great start with some cool and different stuff planned. I'm so in for this.
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 6:38 pm

Not to get it rolling now, but that was an AWESOME story! I dont have the trade, but single copies but dont know where they are packed up at. And I cant remember the story at all anymore. Getting old. LOL
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 9:41 pm

Chris. Get digging. You've got lots of time anyway. hehehe
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 1:51 pm

Found an ex- library copy for a few £, so hopefully it will turn up in time Smile
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 1:21 pm

Got my copy today, my god it is a beat up old copy, but it only cost me a few £ and its still readable, when I get a quite moment I will sit down and read it with a note pad by my side to take down some notes and stuff.
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 11:10 pm

Hey, just wanted to bump this thread up and see if anyone else wanted in on the fun. We'll tart the discussion next Wednesday, so if you're participating in this, get to reading! (Myself included!)
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 7:27 am

I have to dig the books out and have a refresher. I read them about a month ago. But will need to read again for fun. This is going to be interesting.
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!! I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 3:46 pm

Hope you've all read Marvels in time for the book club today. (I just finished re-reading it a few minutes ago, so I thought I'd rub it in.)

Anyway, what an amazing book!

Here are a few discussion questions I thought might get the conversation going.

1. What do you think is the significance of Phil Sheldon losing an eye?

2. Do you think Super-Heroes would be unwelcomed at first as in issue 1?

3. What event do you think was the most significant, and why?

4. What "Easter Eggs" did you spot?

5. What do you think about the citizens' reaction to Galactus, and later his defeat?

6. What did you like/dislike about the overall story?

7. What did you like/dislike about the artwork?

DISCUSS!

Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!! 40042735_384x288_generated
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!! I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 10:41 pm

Even though I came in late, it was still fun to do. Som great insites into the comics from everybody. Next one will be announced soon.
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!! I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 10:12 am

It was fun. I'll be looking forward to the next one.
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!! I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 1:31 pm

For those folks in different time zones, feel free to discuss the book here as well. I know it's hard to get everyone together at the same time.

So, to sum up my thought on the book I discussed in chat:

1. I think Phil Sheldon losing an eye was significant. Before that, he felt skeptical and afraid of the Human Torch and Namor, just like the rest of society. But when he loses his eye, it happens in an accident while he is observing them up close for the first time. So the losing of his eye changes his perspective, both figuratively through his new appreciation for Super Heroes, and literally by changing the way he physically sees the world through one eye.

2. I thought the most important event of the book was the coming of Galactus. Up until then, people were still hot and cold with the super heroes, since they had been fighting evil that man might have been able to defeat himself. Like WW2 Hitler, and bank robbers, etc. But Galactus opened humanity's eyes to the fact that there was much more to the universe, and they would not be able to stop it alone. It was also telling how everyone reacted, realizing that it might just be the end of the world, they just gave up and went home to their loved ones.

It was also interesting, too, that during this everyone was essentially in the dark about what was happening. They just saw a giant villain arrive, a battle ensue, and then Galactus leave. They never understood the true gravity of the situation, or the fact that Galactus would literally devour the world. ANd they also didn't understand the true genius of Reed Richards and the Fantastic Four. They just saw Reed hand something to Galactus, and then Galactus leave.

3. Paul had a really good point about the parallels they drew between the hatred of mutants and racism in America during the same time period.

4. As far as Easter Eggs, we found the Beatles in the Richards wedding scene, and I believe to this day that the Professor from Gilligan's Island was the inspiration for Reed Richards.

But what did everyone else think?

Feel free to post away with new points, or tell me I'm totally wrong, whatever!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!!   Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Graphic Novel Book Club For April 4th, 2012. MARVELS!! RESCHEDULED!!
Page 1 of 1