Alter Ego Comic Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alter Ego Comic Corner

International comic book and toy collector forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Graphic Novel Book Club

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DarthTad
DarthTad

Graphic Novel Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Graphic Novel Book Club   Graphic Novel Book Club I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 8:58 pm

One of the really cool things my LCS does is a monthly Graphic Novel Book Club. We choose a graphic novel, and meet the first Monday of the month to discuss it. It's one of the coolest things I go to. So maybe we could do that here too? Just choose a graphic novel, give folks a month to get it if they don't already have it, then open a thread on a specific day to discuss it? I could run it, and come up with a list of discussion questions to start us out.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club   Graphic Novel Book Club I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 3:40 am

I would be up for it, the only downside for me that I can see is that buying a TPB every month would get expensive (the pull list is very close to max overload), I like the idea that it might introduce me to some stuff I might not normally read.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club   Graphic Novel Book Club I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 11:44 am

I like the idea too. But am in kind of the same boat as Mike. But depending on what the GN is maybe I can pick up a cheaper used copy. I was thinking too that maybe we could have the "Book Club" in chat on a certain night at a certain time that we can all jump in. Just hard to bring food for everyone to eat Laughing And I'll warn you guys. I'm not really all philosophical when I read my comics. So my comments will be along the lines of "It was awesome when Deadpool cut the guys head off." Or "I liked the big explosion on page 16 panel 5." As long as that's ok, I'm in. MAybe I'll learn about whoi the artist is and who the writer dudes are.
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club   Graphic Novel Book Club I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 12:45 pm

I like the idea of having it in chat, I just don't know if there is a good time for all of us to get together, being that we're in a million different time zones.

As far as the cost goes, I totally understand. The nice thing about having it only once a month, though, is that it theoretically gives all of us enough time to find a good deal for it and have it shipped, since I know a lot of you aren't near a comic shop. There might be months, too, when we choose something that you already have, so you just need to re-read it to refresh your memory.

And Paul, no comments or ideas are looked down upon. We should all feel comfortable saying whatever it is we think, and not worry about trying to compare and contrast to Nietzsche or anything. (For the record, I just had to google that to know how to spell it. ) :afro:

But anyways, really the only "rule" is that we have to choose something that is all in just one book. For example, Batman: The Killing Joke would work, but like Preacher Volume 1 wouldn't. We don't want to start something that takes months and months and volumes and volumes to finish.

Off the top of my head, Paul brought up Marvels in another thread, and that might be a good one to start with. It's one story that is found in just one trade, (or the separate issues if you have them.)

So what do you guys think? We could do Marvels at the beginning of April? Say, April the 4th? We could make it the first wednesday of every month. And we could vote for the next one to read. I just figured for ease, Marvels might be a good one to jump start this with.

If you guys are down, just reply, and I'll edit the first post here to include a list of participants.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club   Graphic Novel Book Club I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 12:48 pm

I'm in. I'll reread it agian for the fourth time. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club   Graphic Novel Book Club I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 3:12 pm

I'm in, just so I hunt down the right one is Marvels the Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross one?
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club   Graphic Novel Book Club I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 4:09 pm

Gorneesh wrote:
I'm in, just so I hunt down the right one is Marvels the Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross one?

Yep! Here's an Amazon link for more specifics.

Amazon Marvels

Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club   Graphic Novel Book Club I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 4:33 pm

I went ahead and created an "official thread" for this here

GNBC Thread

I think the best way to do this is to have a separate thread for each month, so it will be easy to find. I also stated we would have a discussion in chat as well at 9:00 PM Eastern Time. Off the top of my head, this seemed like the most agreeable. It will be either 6 or 7 my time, depending on the month (Arizona doesn't use daylight savings time, so we kind of float around in relation to the other time zones.) If this time doesn't work, let me know, and I'll change it.

Thanks!
Tad
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club   Graphic Novel Book Club I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 4:42 pm

Cool Am hunting down a copy as we type, but I will admit now I'm not sure how much of a discussion about it I will be able to have at 2am GMT / 9pm EST i will still be half asleep Laughing so my side of it maybe more post based if that is OK?
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club   Graphic Novel Book Club I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 5:29 pm

Gorneesh wrote:
Cool Am hunting down a copy as we type, but I will admit now I'm not sure how much of a discussion about it I will be able to have at 2am GMT / 9pm EST i will still be half asleep Laughing so my side of it maybe more post based if that is OK?

That's fine with me! We can always look at doing a different time, too. I just wasn't sure if I'd be home from work an earlier.
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club   Graphic Novel Book Club I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 6:28 pm

Sounds like a killer idea. TPB's on Ebay go cheap alot of times, depending on the title. Tad, are you going to do the storys that were in hardback also, like Batmans Dark Joker, Bloodstorm, etc? If you do, Im def game. Those 2 were awesome stories.
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com
DarthTad
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club   Graphic Novel Book Club I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 7:11 pm

Chris_J wrote:
Sounds like a killer idea. TPB's on Ebay go cheap alot of times, depending on the title. Tad, are you going to do the storys that were in hardback also, like Batmans Dark Joker, Bloodstorm, etc? If you do, Im def game. Those 2 were awesome stories.

I honestly have no idea. I just picked the first one for ease, after that it will be up to the group.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Graphic Novel Book Club   Graphic Novel Book Club I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Graphic Novel Book Club
Page 1 of 1