HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

My old Pulp magazines

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kisstour03
Admin

PostSubject: My old Pulp magazines   Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:41 pm

Before last Christmas I got bitten by the bug to collect old Pulp Magazines. For those unfamiliar with "The Pulps", they were basically cheap magazines printed on cheap newsprint and sold at news stands for a dime. They contained stories concerning everything from western adventure stories to the earliest Sci-Fi and fantasy writing. These are the books where Tarzan, Buck Rogers, The Shadow, Conan and others got their beginnings. The big draw of these for me besides the stories, is the awesome cover art that was on them. Here's my first three I got awhile back. I posted shots of the back covers as well, because the ads make me laugh too.

First we have the Augcust 1938 edition of "Astounding Science Fiction". This one was a grail for me, because it's the first publication of a story called "Who Goes There?" which the 1951 movie "The Thing From Another World" was based off of. Which also means it inspired the 1982 film "The Thing" and the 2011 film prequel also titled "The Thing"

Next we have the December 1941 issue of "Thrilling Wonder Stories". I liked the cover of this one.

Andd finally the March 1950 issue of "Startling Stories". The cover on this one was really cool to me. Kinda like a bondage witch from hell.

Thats my collection for now. I planning on adding more in the coming months. I consider this an extension of collecting comics. Much more interesting than stale old Star Wars.

http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: My old Pulp magazines   Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:55 am

This just in.........

THOSE ARE TOTALLY RAD!! I had no idea you had a collection of those. Those covers would look sweet framed on a wall!

world moderators

PostSubject: Re: My old Pulp magazines   Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:24 am

I love the look of them, the cover art on them are simply stunning, it also helps that I personally love all the old sci-fi stuff be it comics/movies, I now think I am going to have to hunt down a few pulp comics to add to my collection.

PostSubject: Re: My old Pulp magazines   

Back to top Go down

My old Pulp magazines
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1