Alter Ego Comic Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alter Ego Comic Corner

International comic book and toy collector forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Defenders

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DarthTad
DarthTad

The Defenders Empty
PostSubject: The Defenders   The Defenders I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 1:21 am

I know I've stated before that I wasn't too keen on the Marvel new release of The Defenders. The first issue was a little too tongue-in-cheek and campy for me. And I was really disappointed in Hulk not being a part of the team, but rather Red She-Hulk.

But now it's been four issues. And I think I like it.

This last issue is primarily a Dr. Strange story, as it seems to set him up as a central character for the upcoming story lines. But the writing is growing on me. Matt Fraction is doing a good job in pacing the story out to keep me interested, and the strange "bottom-of-the-page" quips no longer bother me.

I hope that the Silver Surfer starts taking on a bigger role though, as he is one of my favorite Marvel characters, and seems to be way underutilized in the Marvel Universe nowadays.

But overall, I think I will keep up with it, and see where this story goes.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

The Defenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Defenders   The Defenders I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 10:43 am

I've been avoiding this series simply because I wasn't a fan of the old series when I was a kid. Which is silly I know, because I love comics I would never have touched as a kid. Having Red She-Hulk in the book would be a plus for me because I LOVE that character. So if I pick this up don't let the first issue turn me away. Dang it another to try.
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
DarthTad
DarthTad

The Defenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Defenders   The Defenders I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 1:27 am

Paul, I think you would really like it. When I say that I didn't really like the first issue, I think I'm in the minority there. I think most people did. The only reason I didn't was because it just wasn't what I was expecting. It was kind of funny, smart-alecky, and I was expecting a more serious team-up type comic.

But now after a few issues I appreciate it for what it is. And it has Silver Surfer in it. I loves me some Silver Surfer!
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

The Defenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Defenders   The Defenders I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 10:11 am

Its one of those titles that has to grow on you. I didnt care for it with the first issue so I havent picked any up since. But I will now to give it another shot. But I do have to say, you should read the preview of it to figure out why they are doing what they are for Hulk. It makes alittle more sense in the first issue to get that part. I think the preview is in the Point One one-shot issue.
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

The Defenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Defenders   The Defenders I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 4:29 pm

I have never herd of the Defenders before Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

The Defenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Defenders   The Defenders I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Heres some of the original Defenders Mike. They were pretty good books back in the day.

The Defenders Img_1872
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
world moderators
Gorneesh

The Defenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Defenders   The Defenders I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 3:06 pm

Thanks Chris I might have to hunt down some of them.
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Admin
Chris_J

The Defenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Defenders   The Defenders I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 5:46 pm

They are actually pretty cheap. #1 is $90, so not too bad. The original team only consisted of Dr. Strange, Hulk and Sub-Mariner. Then Silver Surfer joined in #2 and the rest followed.
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
DarthTad

The Defenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Defenders   The Defenders I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 1:01 am

While I'm still behind on The Defenders, I recently finished issue #7. And I have to say, I like it. I know I poo-pooed it out of the gate for being to "campy". But the campiness has grown on me. Especially the Iron Fist. He's become one of my favorites in the series. And it's an interesting enough story to keep me entertained.

I'm still not sure about the little scrolls at the bottom of each page though. They're still kind of distracting to me. But I understand how it adds to the overall fun feel of the book.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
Admin
kisstour03

The Defenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Defenders   The Defenders I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 12:42 pm

still haven't taken the plunge on this one yet. Damn budget and all. LOL
Back to top Go down
https://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

The Defenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Defenders   The Defenders I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Defenders
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alter Ego Comic Corner :: Marvel Comics-
Jump to: